Codling Galore at St. Andrews

Ian with a ballan wrasse caught off St Andrews
Ian with a ballan wrasse

After an hour trundling along at 40mph in a pensioner rally I arrived at St. Andrews to find plenty of water in the harbour. Far too much water in fact, as the harbour gates were closed with Ian’s boat on the wrong side 🙁

Sluice gates in the harbour are opened
Sluice gates in the harbour are opened (not my image, but borrowed from YouTube)

Getting them opened again involved a tense race against time to allow the water levels either side of the gates to be equalised before the tide dropped too low to allow us out anyway. “Race” gives completely the wrong idea, as the sluices equalised water levels at roughly the rate your fingernails grow. It was a painfully slow wait until, finally, Ian managed to scrape through the half-opened gates and we crept out of a rapidly emptying harbour and out to sea.

A nicely marked codling which fell to ragworm on a purple muppet lure
A nicely marked codling which fell to ragworm on a purple muppet lure

A brief stop to confirm that the mackerel weren’t in yet and we headed eastwards towards cod territory. Fish were a little patchy but we hit clumps of them from the start and the rods were soon getting action. Fairly typical early summer fish – a bit thin and most around 2lbs – they were certainly hungry and happy to eat anything. Ragworm did nicely, but mackerel hammered quite a few, and Ian’s lure rod was very busy.

A typical inshore ballan wrasse - the colours of this one are a little subdued
A typical ballan
A cod with two tails, or two codling - it's hard to tell in this shot
Twin tail or two fish?

After a fairly slow hiatus over low water action picked up again with the tide. Pollack weren’t much in evidence, probably because the tide was fairly small, and codling certainly dominated the day. With an empty freezer I was happy to keep a few to restock, although the vast majority went back.

Nicely coloured fish and lure!
Nicely coloured fish and lure!

Ian’s plans for a final attempt to wheedle out a pollack or two were bushwhacked by a pod of dolphins feeding over the same territory. They weren’t exactly chasing us, but when we moved so did the dolphins. There didn’t seem to be much point in competing with them so we called it a day and headed back.

One of a small pod of dolphins working close inshore near St Andrews
Dolphins close inshore

The body count for the day was just shy of 70 cod plus a couple of pollack, a ling, ballan wrasse and a handful of small coalie. The ling was mine and the rest fell to Ian’s rod.

Share this:


    1. Hi Dale,
      Off down there for a day or two tomorrow. Forecast is a 4-6 SSW so my hopes of an easy, fish filled weekend are not high!

  1. Hi Doug,
    dropped in to have a chat on Friday evening but you must have been away shore fishing. the weather was just awful all weekend, hope you managed something other hold onto the tent :-0

    1. Hi Dale,
      We got out on Wigtown Bay for a few hours on Friday and it was OK conditions in there, although the fish weren’t playing too nicely – several thornies, a handful of smoothies and no tope to show for it. Flounders and a few bass from the shore, plus a scattering of other bits and pieces. Two good years followed by a bad weekend, so we can’t complain too much in a Scottish context – although Trev drove down from Fraserburgh to endure it so he might have a different view! I’ll get around to a report in the next few days- maybe…

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.